Saturday, January 02, 2010

Blogging Tips from a Newb




Since I really started blogging last month, I thought I’d share some of the things I’ve learned the past month. By no means am I an expert, but these few things have helped me. (Obviously I’m not an expert, I have 22 readers, not 49K+ like Mr. Scott Hanselman :) By the way, I recently downloaded his Baby Smash creation and my baby loves it! So if you have a kid, you might want to check it out. Anyhow…

1. I started using Windows Live Writer. It saves a TON of time and is really easy. Benefits I’ve found thus far:

  • Pings servers for you
  • Easily save drafts and publish later
  • Manage multiple blogs (not that I have more than one)
  • Download plugins
  • Setup auto linking
  • Spell check
  • Setup your tags/categories before publishing

2. I started pinging different services to let them know I posted. Below is a list of the services I’m currently pinging through Windows Live Writer.

CropperCapture[6]

3. I setup some plugins to help automate some things. Below are the plugins I’m using.

CropperCapture[9]

Quick run down of what each plugin does: (Note: all of the plugins were free)

4. I downloaded Cropper to grab screenshots. I found this tool last week thanks to Jeffrey Palermo’s post on it. I love it now! It makes doing screenshots A LOT easier.

5. I setup Feedburner recently too because it gives more statistics on who’s reading your blog. However, it gets discouraging to me. It topped out at 41 I think and now it’s at 22. I’m not sure why because I really haven’t read up on how it averages the “subscribers”.

6. I setup Google Analytics when I first started back in April and it’s helped a lot.

Again, I am by NO MEANS an expert NOT EVEN CLOSE! So, if you are an expert, please provide us with some comments of advice. I love learning new things and could definitely use the help!

As always, thanks for reading!

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...